Durban is a popular city in KwaZulu Natal, ideal for a getaway throughout the year because of its gloriously sunny weather and exquisite beaches. Durban’s beachfront, the famous Golden Mile, is an activities playground, full of fantastic hotels overlooking the sea plus a wealth of exciting entertainment options, including the uShaka Marine World theme park, home to the city’s famous Aquarium and the Wet ‘n Wild waterpark.
With its rich cultural heritage, Durban is a fascinating city to explore. Here, the East meets the West in an irresistible blend of Zulu and Indian influences. Plus, it’s the perfect launchpad from which to explore all that KwaZulu-Natal has to offer, making it a great choice for family holidays. From the city, you only need to drive a short distance to explore KwaZulu-Natal's fascinating history along the Battlefields Route. Then there are the small coastal towns of Umhlanga and Ballito in the north, and Port Edward in the South Coast, where you can tour Beaver Creek Coffee Estate or treat the kids to a day of fun at the Mac Banana farm.
Why holiday in Durban
- It’s a laidback tropical city that is ideal for a seaside holiday.
- The beaches are beautiful.
- The food is excellent, the people are friendly, and the atmosphere is relaxed.
- The weather is glorious, even in the middle of winter.
- Up and down the coast, there are numerous little seaside spots to explore.
- It’s a surfer’s paradise.
- Durban harbour is the busiest in the country, and its wharf is a great place for a seaside dinner.
- Durban is full of factory shops offering goods at bargain prices, great restaurants and bakeries to enjoy.
There are lush green parks like Mitchells Park and a variety of entertainment offerings that make a holiday in Durban a fun and sun-filled experience, whether you’re travelling here with family, friends or on a romantic trip. Browse our fantastic Durban holiday packages and let’s start planning your beach getaway today. We've got a wonderful range of holidays from luxury to cheap Durban packages for 2023.
Explore other exciting city holidays that Thompsons Holidays has to offer such as Cape Town holiday packages, Johannesburg holiday packages and Port Elizabeth holiday packages.
Durban is not only sun-filled but fun-filled. With an array of activities to choose from, those seeking a relaxed beach holiday and adrenaline junkies alike will find pleasure in a holiday to Durban. Spend your days at the beach, feel the thrill on water rides and shop until you drop at seaside markets. And do not leave Durban without trying its famous dish, the Bunny Chow!
Durban is a surfer's paradise. Whether you’re a first-timer or a pro at catching waves, your holiday to Durban is not complete until you surf at one of its beautiful beaches!
Durban activities and attractions
- Experience the uShaka Marine World theme park.
- Explore the Durban Botanical Gardens and discover many living fossils.
- Feel the thrill by free-falling from the rooftop of the Moses Mabhida Stadium on the world’s tallest swing, Big Rush Big Swing.
- Hop on the Valley of 1,000 Hills Steam Train.
- Visit the Oyster Box Hotel and enjoy cocktails on the pool deck with views of the iconic Umhlanga Lighthouse.
- Take a long stroll along the Golden Mile.
- Learn about Durban's history and people at the Kwa Muhle Museum.
- Try a spicy pineapple.
- Take a tour around the Beaver Creek Coffee Estate.
- Visit Durban’s first mosque, and the largest and oldest in the Southern Hemisphere, Jumma Mosque.
- Enjoy a rickshaw ride along Durban’s beachfront.
- Take the kids to Mitchell Park.
- Hop on a Ricksha bus for an open-air City Sightseeing tour of Durban.
Whether you’re considering a family holiday, romantic escape or a getaway with friends, experiences in Durban are endless! Browse our range of Durban holiday packages and let’s get your local adventure started.
When is the best time to visit?
- Durban is a year-round destination.
- Summer (November to March) is peak season and can be very hot and humid. Expect crowds during this time as Durban is a trendy summer holiday destination, especially over the December school break.
- The best time to visit Durban is from April to September, in the winter months, when the temperature is still warm but mild, and there are fewer crowds.
Getting there & getting around
- Lightweight clothing and beachwear for summer, layers for winter. Always pack a light raincoat for surprise downpours.
- Comfortable walking shoes, sandals.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat, swimsuits and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; instead, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.