Located in southern Johannesburg, Gold Reef City is both a fun theme park and fascinating historical attraction. It’s located on the site of an old gold mine and has been designed to follow the theme of the 19th-century Gold Rush, which heralded the birth of Johannesburg.
Gold Reef City theme park offers a variety of fun activities as well as the chance to learn about gold mining. It’s a great way to spend a day in Johannesburg, especially with the kids in tow! Many visitors prefer to take advantage of accommodation inclusive Gold Reef City specials and immerse themselves in the Gold Rush experience over a few days. There are two hotels on the property: the charming Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel or the more modern Southern Sun Gold Reef City.
Why visit Gold Reef City theme park
- There are over 30 exciting rides and attractions to keep the whole family entertained, from thrill-seeking teens to tiny tots.
- For history buffs, the chance to go underground to explore the workings of a 19th-century gold mine is not to be missed at the Mine Museum.
- Immerse yourself in history and be photographed wearing 19th-century fashions.
Gold Reef City is a world on its own, an opportunity to step back in time to the days of the Gold Rush when people from all over the country flocked here to make their fortunes. Enjoy the many attractions on offer with a Gold Reef City package from Thompsons Holidays.
Learn about Johannesburg’s history while having the time of your life at Gold Reef City. Step back in time and learn about how “the City of Gold” was born in the late 1800s. With more than 30 thrilling rides and attractions to choose from, Gold Reef City offers endless entertainment options, from 4D cinema to thrills and spills for the whole family.
Things to do in Gold Reef City
- Explore one of the world’s last remaining bullion coaches at the Train Museum.
- Take a walk through Gold Rush history on the Heritage Tour.
- Enjoy a 4D cinema experience and see movies come to life.
- Try the Storm Chaser, a thrilling ride that feels as if you’re caught in the eye of a storm.
- Try your hand at panning for gold the way it was done in the late 1800s.
- Take a helicopter ride over Gold Reef City for a bird’s eye view.
- Play a round of mini-golf.
- Visit houses resembling those built in the Gold Rush, including Dowse House and Oosthuizen House.
- Jump for joy in Gold Reef City’s new trampoline park, Jump City.
- Master a skill-based game like Cat Rack, Hang Man, Ring Toss and Derby Race.
- Stay in the Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel, with rooms individually decorated in the style of the Gold Rush.
Johannesburg is an ultramodern metropolis, but Gold Reef City Theme Park, in the southern part of the city, offers the opportunity to step back in time and enjoy a unique experience. Let Thompsons Holidays book your Gold Reef City holiday package for an experience you will never forget.
When is the best time to visit?
- The best times to visit Gold Reef City are in the low seasons, from March to May and September to November.
- Peak times, during the school holidays, can be crowded.
- You can take the Gautrain to visit Gold Reef City or a taxi or shuttle from your hotel.
- Alternatively, you can self-drive or hire a car.
- Different ticket classes are available for all rides, non-rider access, child-riders, pensioners, students and families.
- If it’s your birthday, entrance is free!
- Credit cards are accepted, and ATMs are available throughout the theme park.
Health & safety information
- Familiarise yourself with Gold Reef City’s safety rules.
- Nurses are on duty during park operating hours.
- You are not permitted to bring your own food and beverages into the Park.
- Smoking is permitted in designated areas only.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Lightweight clothing for summer, layers for winter as it’s often warm during the day, and a rain jacket for those afternoon thundershowers.
- Appropriate attire to be worn in line with the Park’s family-friendly policy.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn in the Park at all times.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses.
- Hand sanitiser.