Just 90 minutes’ drive from Cape Town, the seaside resort of Hermanus is a charming holiday destination – especially during whale season (June to November). In fact, Hermanus is the whale watching capital of the world and hosts the Hermanus Whale Festival every September, when thousands of visitors come to view southern right whales and enjoy a variety of entertainment. Throughout the summer, Hermanus beckons those who prefer a quieter beach life and its charming waterfront cafes, shops and art galleries offer a pleasant respite from the sun and the sea. Near to the town, in the Hemel en Aarde Valley, are excellent wine-tasting opportunities as well as game viewing in the Fernkloof Nature Reserve where you can also enjoy 60km of hiking trails.
Hermanus attractions and things to do
- See whales and other marine life in the bay.
- Enjoy pleasant walks along beautiful sandy beaches.
- Go horse riding on Pearly Beach.
- Dine at a variety of excellent restaurants.
- Explore Klipgat Cave with its limestone windows offering superb sea views.
- Go sea kayaking along Walker Bay.
- Shop for produce at Hermanus Country Market.
- Surf and sunbathe on Voelklip Beach.
- Discover the town’s living museum, its Old Harbour to learn about Hermanus’ whaling history.
- Take a walk along the breathtaking cliff path.
- Enjoy sampling wine at a choice of estates nearby.
- Take a day trip further afield, to Arniston, Bredasdorp, Greyton and Gansbaai.
Hermanus offers plenty of places to stay to suit every pocket, from luxury accommodation to simple B&Bs. With its varied attractions, choice of things to do and idyllic setting, Hermanus is a dream holiday destination, whether you’re travelling with family, friends or on a romantic beach getaway. Browse our packages, we've got many cheap package options, and book your Hermanus holiday package with Thompsons Holidays today.
Explore South Africa's other sleepy coastal towns with Thompsons Holidays. We've got Knysna holiday packages, Plettenberg Bay holiday packages, Jeffreys Bay holiday packages and Paternoster holiday packages.