Everything is bigger and better in North America! The continent is home to some of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, including New York City and Walt Disney World. The man-made attractions in North America are equally breathtaking: The Statue of Liberty, the Guggenheim Museum and the Brooklyn Bridge are just some incredible sights you can see in NYC alone. Planning a holiday package to North America with Thompsons Holidays will not only save you money, but it will also take the hassle out of planning your trip. We have a wide range of package deals available to suit your budget and needs.
Why we love North America
- You can live the American dream on holiday in the USA, where anything is possible, and there’s so much to see and experience.
- North America’s fun-filled theme parks make kids’ (and adults’) dreams come true, especially Walt Disney World in Florida.
- There are more than 35,000 fantastic museums in the USA, including Washington’s Smithsonian Institute and New York’s Museum of Modern Art (MoMA).
- North America’s famous attractions like Los Angeles’ Hollywood sign, the Las Vegas strip and Washington’s White House are a must for your Instagram!
- We can’t get over the continent’s impressive and vast beauty.
From the West Coast beaches, deserts and cities of the USA to the glacial lakes and mountains of Canada, North American countries offer holidays to suit every possible taste and budget, whether you’re travelling solo, with your partner, family or friends. Start your North American tour today and browse our holiday packages.
North America offers a treasure trove of delightful places to visit, from its famous cities, like glittering Las Vegas, star-studded Los Angeles, and gritty New York to some of the most incredible natural wonders in the world. Whether you’re keen to sightsee, laze on a beach, meet Mickey Mouse, dine on a variety of exciting cuisines – or do a little bit of each of these, you can experience them in North America. It’s difficult to narrow down the myriad experiences awaiting you in this exciting destination. Still, we’ve put together a travel guide of our top things to do when you’re visiting the continent. Take a look.
North America sightseeing
- Visit the White House and the incredible Smithsonian Institute in Washington.
- Sail past the Statue of Liberty, explore Central Park and watch a live show on Broadway in New York.
- Visit the otherworldly hot springs and pools in Yellowstone National Park, USA.
- Traverse San Francisco's narrow, hilly streets.
- Take a stroll down Sunset Blvd. in Los Angeles.
- Unleash your inner child at Walt Disney World in Florida.
- Marvel at the Grand Canyon.
- Experience the neon-coloured city of Las Vegas.
North America is a world on its own. Let Thompsons Holidays take you on a voyage of discovery to a variety of amazing destinations in North America. Whatever activity or place is on your bucket list, we can help you tick it off with one of our stunning travel deals. Book now!
- The weather in North America varies according to the season you’re travelling and where you’re going, so always check the weather forecast.
- Depending on when and where you visit, be sure to pack comfortable clothing for the times you will spend in transit, whether you are travelling by plane or by coach.
- Some handy items to include: a lightweight raincoat, flip flops and scarf (for the plane or cooler weather).
- Comfortable walking shoes are a must.
- For summer holidays in North America, don't leave home without sunscreen, hat and sunglasses.
- For flights and public transport, be sure to have hand sanitiser handy. Don't forget a mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Camera (or just use your phone) and charger. Some noise-cancelling earphones will come in handy too.
- Bring along a US travel adaptor.
- There are frequent flights from South Africa to all major North American destinations. Often you will have to catch a connecting flight from another city or country.
- You can travel from one state or country to another by plane, train or hiring a car. Be aware of visa and paperwork requirements if crossing borders.
- North American cities, especially in the USA and Canada, have excellent transport systems as a whole, including taxis, subways, buses, trains and where relevant, ferries.
- Other cities in outlying areas throughout the continent may have less sophisticated transport infrastructure – it depends where you are going.
- The most widely spoken languages in North America are English and Spanish.
- English is the official language in the USA, while Canada has 2 official languages, English and French.
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- North America is very environmentally aware, so be mindful of your impact on the environment.
- Avoid single-use plastic; instead, take fabric shopping bags with you and use refillable water bottles (when local drinking water is available).
- Respect each other's cultures and customs.
- Always have a map (or app) on hand, especially when travelling at night.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.