Known as the ‘Friendly City’, and even more recently as Gqeberha, Port Elizabeth is located in the Eastern Cape. It’s gorgeous gold-sand beaches heralding the start of the Sunshine Coast towards the east. With its excellent weather and proximity to numerous malaria-free game reserves, including the famous Addo Elephant National Park, Port Elizabeth has become a popular choice for a holiday.
PE, as the city was called before the new name change to Gqeberha, is also renowned for Route 67, a walking route and heritage journey through 67 public works of art. In essence, these murals, sculptures and other masterpieces symbolise the 67 years that Nelson Mandela dedicated to securing South Africa’s freedom.
Why travel to Port Elizabeth
- Port Elizabeth is a fantastic family holiday destination, with numerous attractions to keep families busy for days.
- Located on Algoa Bay, Port Elizabeth is home to around 20,000 bottlenose dolphins, which you can view on a boat tour.
- Sample some bold artisanal brews in several microbreweries and visit the oldest coffee roastery in the country, Mastertons, founded in 1924.
- Explore and enjoy 40km of gorgeous coastline.
- Enjoy whale watching from August to December.
- View wildlife in the Kragga Kamma Game Park, just half an hour from the city.
- Go hiking in the Cape Recife Nature Reserve.
The perfect base from which to explore the Eastern Cape’s many treasures, Port Elizabeth is a fabulous seaside resort with excellent restaurants, a lively nightlife, beautiful beaches and numerous attractions. Browse our Port Elizabeth holiday packages below...
Explore other exciting city holidays that Thompsons Holidays has to offer such as Johannesburg holiday packages, Durban holiday packages and Cape Town holiday packages.
Whether you’re looking for a laidback beach break or would prefer a more active holiday in Port Elizabeth, you can find what you’re after in this lovely seaside town. Port Elizabeth is famous for its beaches, numerous attractions, fun things to do on holiday and places to go. It’s also the perfect base from which to explore the Eastern Cape’s famous game reserves. Kids love Port Elizabeth for its water park and beaches where they can play all day. Friends adore this port city because there’s plenty to do, the food is delicious as and there are many watersports to enjoy.
Things to do on a Port Elizabeth holiday
- Enjoy surfing, sailing, kiteboarding, windsurfing and fishing off the town’s gorgeous beaches.
- Take a cruise of the harbour – and enjoy whale watching too, from August all the way through to December.
- Take the kids to Bayworld Oceanarium for a peek into PE’s magical underwater world.
- Stroll along the picturesque wooden walkway along PE’s pretty shoreline.
- Watch cricket at St George’s Park.
- Take a river cruise on the Sundays River.
- Go scuba diving in Sardinia Bay.
- See African penguins at St Croix Island Marine Reserve.
- Step back in time to the 1820 Settlers on the Donkin Heritage Trail.
- Enjoy sandboarding in the Maitland Sand Dunes.
With so many fun activities and scenic places to visit, it’s no wonder that Port Elizabeth is such a popular holiday destination. We’ll help you plan your stay to ensure you make the most of your time in this gorgeous city by the sea. Let Thompsons Holidays put together the perfect Port Elizabeth holiday package for you. Browse our travel packages below...
When is the best time to visit?
- The best time to visit Port Elizabeth is in the summer months, November to March.
Getting there & getting around
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth: 1 hour, 35 minutes. From Cape Town: 1 hour.
- The best way to get around Port Elizabeth is by car and ride-hail taxis. Buses, rapid bus transport, minibuses and trains also operate within the city.
What can I do to be a responsible traveller?
- Wherever possible, buy local food and souvenirs and support local artisans.
- Avoid single-use plastic; instead, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
What do I do in an emergency?
- If passports or valuables are stolen, report the theft to the hotel/police immediately.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.