Praslin Island Holiday
The second-largest island in Seychelles, Praslin lies 45km from Mahé, about an hour by boat. The Indian Ocean island is known for its palm-fringed beaches, such as Anse Lazio. Then there’s the interior, a vast jungle-covered paradise that encompasses Praslin National Park. Here you’ll find the legendary Vallée de Mai Nature Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s one of only two places in the world where Coco de Mer trees grow. These unique trees bear enormous fruit that is shaped like a woman’s torso, weighing around 18kg and believed to have aphrodisiac properties.
Hike through dense, ancient forests to discover abundant wildlife and plants, including Seychelles black parrots, bulbuls and tree frogs. The North East coast, known as the Golden Coast, is home to some exquisite beaches and on the Southern Coast, you’ll find the black pearl farm, the only one in the Indian Ocean. Praslin is also a hop-skip-and-jump from Curieuse Island and its luminescent coral reefs and sea turtle nesting sites.
Why visit Praslin Island
- Praslin boasts some of the best beaches in the world, including Anze Lazio and Anse Georgette.
- Legend has it that Praslin’s Vallee de Mai was the original Garden of Eden – it’s that spectacular.
- Praslin offers a romantic, relaxed holiday in a magnificent tropical destination.
- Snorkelling is superb in the magnificent coral reefs off Anse Lazio beach.
- Praslin may be smaller than magical Mahé, but that is part of its charm.
- Praslin accommodation ranges from relaxed to luxurious.
Praslin is surrounded by smaller islands that are a delight to explore, including Curieuse, St Pierre and Cousin. Book now to experience beautiful Praslin island, one of the most popular 2023 holiday destinations in Seychelles.
Things to do on Praslin Island
There are so many things to do on a Praslin holiday. The first priority is to enjoy time on the island’s beautiful beaches, considered some of the most spectacular in the world. Then there is breathtaking Vallée de Mai Nature Reserve, a dream destination for birders who want to see the black parrot.
There is excellent snorkelling in the magnificent coral reefs off famous Anse Lazio beach, the island’s most iconic beach because of its beauty, as well as soaking up the sun and relaxing on two smaller but equally gorgeous beaches, Anse Georgette and Anse Volbert. And that’s just a taste of what’s on offer on pretty Praslin.
Things to do in Praslin
- Get a taste of local culture at the George Camille Art Gallery.
- Visit the viewpoint at Fond Ferdinand Nature Reserve for a breathtaking panoramic view of the island.
- Hike from Anse Lazio to Anse Georgette, two of Praslin’s beautiful beaches.
- Visit the island of Curieuse to see its giant tortoises.
- Go birdwatching on Aride, known as the bird island.
- Explore famous La Digue Island on a day trip.
- Enjoy diving in a choice of 20 dive sites around the island.
- See impressive rock formations at Anse Bateau beach.
- Sunbathe on the deserted beach of Anse Matelot.
- See the Coco de Mer palms at Vallée de Mai Nature Reserve. The fruit takes 7 years to grow.
- Spot sea turtles while snorkelling.
Praslin is the ideal holiday destination for a leisurely island getaway. Whatever you want to do in Praslin, and wherever you want to stay Thompsons Holidays can put together the ultimate Praslin holiday package for you.
Know before you go...
When is the best time to visit?
- Seychelles has a year-round tropical climate with temperatures ranging from 24°C to 32°C.
- The best times to visit Praslin are April, May, October & November.
- The wettest months are January & February.
- May to September is cooler, drier and windier.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Mahe in Seychelles: 5 hours, 12 minutes.
- You then fly to Praslin on a 20-minute flight or you can take a high-speed catamaran, which takes approximately 1 hour.
What must I pack?
- Seychelles enjoys a year-round warm, tropical climate, and you will spend most of your time in and around the sea, so beachwear is a must. Pack lightweight, breathable clothing with a dressier outfit or two for dinners – think laidback luxury
- Don't leave home without sunscreen, lip balm, hat, and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Camera – or just use your phone.
- Travel adaptor.
What do I do in an emergency?
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!