Travel to Rome to uncover the treasures of the ‘Eternal City’ and discover ‘La Dolce Vita’ – the good life. Italy’s capital is a patchwork of ancient history made visible in its incredible architecture and precious art. Home to the legendary Vatican City as well as the equally famous Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Basilica, Rome is very much a religious capital, a tribute to Roman Catholicism.
Modern Rome is just as enticing, a thriving, dynamic city with sidewalk cafes, elegant boutiques, broad boulevards and world-famous cuisine. A travel package to Rome is the perfect introduction to Italy and its people – romantic, feisty, warm and creative.
Why visit Rome
- It’s the political and religious centre of the Roman Catholic Church.
- To see its famous fountains, each one more spectacular than the last.
- To eat, eat and eat! Roman pizza takes the joy of eating to the next level.
- If you love art, you will love the opportunity to view many of Michelangelo’s famous masterpieces.
- Rome is close to many of Italy’s major highlights, including Florence, Pompeii and beautiful beaches.
- The city is packed to the brim with UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- There are many churches to explore, all of them exquisite.
- If you’re a fan of fashion, Rome is where you want to shop for designer wear.
As the capital of one of the most powerful ancient empires in the world, a tour in Rome is full of amazing works of art, breathtaking sights and monuments, ancient ruins and religious places of interest. Experience it all with a 2023 Rome travel package from South Africa with Thompsons Holidays.
Things to do in Rome
Modern, stylish, historical and religious, a tour of Rome is an opportunity to uncover a fascinating city of contrasts. There are so many things to do in Rome, whether you’re keen to learn all about this ancient city’s history, or have come to enjoy a hedonistic mix of fabulous food and high fashion. Maybe you’re visiting Rome to experience a little of everything – Rome’s many attractions are varied and diverse, so you can fill each day with exciting activities. Here’s a small taste of what to include in your travel package...
Things to do in Rome
- Visit the Colosseum.
- For good luck, throw a coin in Trevi Fountain.
- Explore the city at leisure on a hop-on, hop-off open-air bus.
- Discover the mighty Pantheon, one of the best-preserved Roman buildings in the world.
- Catch your breath on the Spanish Steps after shopping in Piazza di Spagna.
- Explore the Vatican City to see the museums and churches housed there.
- Stroll through the breathtaking Villa Borghese gardens.
- Marvel at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, a masterpiece by Michelangelo.
- Visit the ruins of the Roman Forum at Palatine Hill, one of Rome’s most ancient districts.
- Step back in time when you walk through the cobbled streets of Trastevere.
- Visit the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, one of the city’s largest churches.
With so many famous sights, fountains and ancient ruins, Rome is a treasure trove just waiting to be discovered, with hidden gems along the way to make every day an exciting one. Let Thompsons Holidays coordinate your Rome holiday package, taking in all the sights and activities that you wish to enjoy. Get in touch to book now.
Know before you go...
When is the best time to visit?
- Italy is a popular year-round destination with long hot summers and cold winters.
- The best time to visit Rome is in Spring (April and May) and also in the autumn months (September to November).
- High season (summer) is June to August; winter is November to March.
Getting there & getting around
- There are regular flights to Rome from South Africa. The flight duration from Johannesburg to Rome: 10 hours, 15 minutes.
- The most convenient and economical way of getting around Rome is the Public Transit Bus service.
- The metro is also available, as are taxis.
What must I pack?
- Depending on when you visit, lightweight clothing for summer, warm layers for winter.
- Dress modestly when visiting Roman religious sites.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat and sunglasses for summer holidays.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor. The Europlug is a flat, two-pole, round-pin domestic AC power plug, rated for voltages up to 250 V and currents up to 2.5 A.
- Always have a map (or app) on hand, especially when travelling at night.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables and watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers when out and about.
What do I do in an emergency?
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.
Rome, Italy - Sightseeing [3.4 MB]
Out of season
We’re sorry! The holiday you’re looking for is not in season. Luckily, we have loads of other exciting options. Take a look!