The quiet town of St Lucia on the Elephant Coast in KwaZulu Natal forms part of the Isimangaliso Wetland Park, South Africa’s first World Heritage Site. Situated just under 3 hours’ drive time from Durban, and surrounded by unspoiled nature and a wide variety of outdoorsy adventures, it’s no surprise that St Lucia resorts become a hive of activity over weekends and holidays.
There really is no limit to what you can enjoy in the area: scuba diving, snorkelling, game viewing, hiking, kayaking and whale watching are all available to tempt adventure-seekers. Keen anglers will know that St Lucia fishing is reason enough to visit the golden beaches and tropical estuaries of this very special region. Here, crocodiles, hippos and elephants reign supreme. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and another top St Lucia attraction is watching leatherback turtles lay their eggs.
St Lucia activities and things to do
- Go on safari in the nearby Hluhluwe Game Reserve, the oldest Big 5 game park in South Africa.
- Visit Cape Vidal for its wonderful beaches, deep-sea fishing and whale watching.
- Explore the lakes around Kosi Bay, a largely untouched and totally unspoilt region featuring numerous lakes.
- Visit Sodwana Bay Nature Reserve for outstanding scuba diving with the possibility of seeing whales sharks.
- Go dining along McKenzie St (a former hippo pathway), which is packed with eateries and pubs.
Do you hear the call of the wild? St Lucia’s 21 eco-systems, made up of coastal forests with ferns, fig trees and giant orchards, mangrove swamps, sand dunes, coral reefs, woodlands, grasslands and wetlands, are where you want to be. Get in touch with us now about booking your St Lucia holiday.