Called ‘the Smoke that Thunders’, the mighty Victoria Falls is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. The Falls lie on the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia, and offer breathtaking views from both sides. Popular with South Africans, Zimbabwe’s Vic Falls holiday packages provide an opportunity to see the Falls up close and enjoy exciting adventure activities. From breathtaking helicopter rides over the Falls and thrilling white-water rafting on the Zambezi River, to romantic sunset safari cruises.
Why holiday in Vic Falls Zimbabwe
- Only a short flight away, it's a hassle-free holiday destination for South Africans.
- Seeing the spellbinding Falls is an unmissable bucket list experience.
- Victoria Falls town is steeped in history and a charming destination to explore.
- Vic Falls is an adventure playground for thrill-seekers.
- It's an excellent base from which to enjoy Big 5 safaris.
We often get asked how long do you need to enjoy Victoria Falls properly? Our advice is to spend at least 2 to 3 days at Victoria Falls in order to see and do a lot of the activities and then we highly recommend visiting some of the surrounding areas where you can go on safaris and game drives. So a week in total for your holiday.
There are several excellent hotels and lodges from which to choose, depending on your budget and the type of holiday you want. Vic Falls holiday packages are varied and include family holidays, romantic getaways and opportunities for friends to enjoy exciting adrenaline-packed adventures. Whether you're an extreme sports enthusiast or avid safari-goer, a trip to the Vic Falls in Zimbabwe is a dream come true.
Magnificent panoramic views, superb accommodation choices, and an opportunity to see the mighty "Smoke that Thunders"... These are just some of the reasons to visit the famous Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. There are also many exciting activities to enjoy, from adrenaline-packed sports like bungee jumping, bridge sliding, and white-water rafting, to leisurely cruises on the Zambezi River. Whatever type of holiday you’re after, Victoria Falls is packed with fabulous attractions and exciting things to do to keep families, couples and friends busy for days. Here's exactly what you can expect to experience at Victoria Falls:
Things to do in Victoria Falls
- Take the ‘Flight of Angels’ helicopter ride over the Falls.
- Swim in the Devil’s Pool, inches from the Falls.
- Go on a day trip safari in Botswana's Chobe National Park.
- Enjoy a traditional Boma dinner and drum show.
- Go white-water rafting on the Zambezi River.
- Zipline or swing across the Victoria Falls gorge.
- Enjoy lunch on Livingstone Island.
- Travel on a 1952 steam train enjoying dinner with spectacular views.
- See the Falls at the full moon on a fascinating lunar rainbow tour.
In Victoria Falls, you can immerse yourself in a fascinating culture, experience nostalgic romance in a classic safari setting, soak up magnificent scenery and take your pick of adrenaline-packed activities to get your heart racing. These are just some of the unforgettable experiences awaiting you on a Victoria Falls holiday package. No wonder Vic Falls is such a popular holiday destination and well worth visiting!
When is the best time to visit?
- The best time to visit Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe is after the rainy season, April and May.
- At the end of the dry months (October to December), the water levels are low.
- Winter months (May to September) are best for game viewing.
- Flight duration from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe direct: 1 hour, 35 minutes.
- Lightweight clothing and rain jacket with layers for cooler mornings and evenings.
- Neutral coloured clothing if going on safari.
- Comfortable walking shoes – if you're walking through the rainforest, the trail can be slippery.
- Sunscreen, lip balm, hat, swimsuit and sunglasses.
- Mini first aid kit and regular prescription medication.
- Hand sanitiser and insect repellent.
- Travel adaptor.
- Support local artisans.
- Instead of using plastic bags, take fabric shopping bags with you.
- Respect each other's cultures and customs.
- Be safety conscious: don’t display cash or valuables. Leave jewellery and expensive watches at home.
- Keep your belongings safe – use the hotel safe for passports and valuables.
- Contact the Thompsons Holidays 24-hour care line to assist.